About The Program
Certificate in Dental Science (CDS), is based on the academic requirements to provide basic dental/oral health care services as a health professional Dental Hygiene graduates will be able to work as Dental Assistant in the hospital and clinical settings under the supervision of the Dental Surgeon and also will be able to serve in the community..
After completion of the course, the graduate is expected to perform the duty of hospital and clinic assistant as assigned by the Nepal Health Professional Council independently in different health institutions in Nepal and abroad.
Some of the services provided by dental hygienists may include:
- Patient screening procedures; such as assessment of oral health conditions, review of the health history, oral cancer screening, head and neck inspection, dental charting and taking blood pressure and pulse
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Removing calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth
- Applying preventive materials to the teeth (e.g., sealants and fluorides)
- teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health;
(e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Counseling patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health
- making impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth used by dentists to evaluate patient treatment needs)
- Performing documentation and office management activities
- Dental hygienists can apply their skills and knowledge to other career activities such as teaching hygiene students in dental schools and dental hygiene education programs.
- Research, office management and business administration are other career options.
- Employment opportunities also may be available with companies that market dental-related materials and equipment.
Scope and Opportunities
Dental Hygienists are licensed oral health professionals who focus on preventing and treating oral disease both to protect teeth and gums and also to protect patient’s total health. In additional to treating patients directly, dental hygienists may also work as educators, researchers and administration.
With the quality of education integrated with theoretical and practical approach linking with the code of conduct of CTEVT and Nepal Health Professional Council , Kantipur Dental College is in the continuous pathway of preparing professionally competent Dental Hygienist.
Our mission is to guide all of our students as they become active, socially responsible leaders and contributors with the knowledge, skills and character to be successful.
- Experienced faculty members representing wide variety of disciplinary within Dentistry.
- Well–equipped science laboratories, library and Computer lab.
- Offers a Strong learning environment that nurtures and enhances the personality of our students.
- Constant evaluation & monitoring of student’s progress, through regular tests and exams.
- Own a sophisticated hospital with all oral health Care facility helping the students for On the Job training (OJT) and Job placement after completing the study.
- Collaboration with Latrobe University, Australia for Student Exchange Program.
- Social Studies
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Math, Statistics and Computer Application
- Dental Anatomy and Physiology
- Dental Materials, Instruments and Assisting
- Basic Periodontology I
- Oral Pathology & Microbiology
- Health Education
- Epidemiology & community diagnosis
- Environmental Health
- Basic Periodontology II
- Food and Nutrition
- Dental Pharmacology
- Health Management
- Dental Radiography and Photography
- Dental Public Health and Jurisprudence
Comprehensive Professional Field Practice
Phone Number: 01-4366242/4358586
- Nepalese students who have passed their SLC with a minimum of 45% average are eligible to apply for admission.
- Nepalese students who have passed their SEE with the minimum of GPA ‘c’ and obtained minimum ‘C’ in English, Mathematics, and Science are eligible to apply for admission.
- There will be an Entrance examination conducted by CTEVT; students must pass the examination for further admission procedure.
The students are required to obtain a minimum of 90% attendance in order to sit for the final examination conducted by CTEVT.
Besides that students must pass separately the internal assessments and terminal examinations conducted by faculty twice every year (40% theory & 60% Practical) in order to be qualified for the final examination.
Internal evaluation carries 20% and 40 % of the total theory and practical marks respectively in every subject. The final exam (theory and practical exam) will be conducted by CTEVT. The students must pass them separately.
- In the total of 40 seats, there are 3 seats for the scholarship. Students who want to get a scholarship should pass the scholarship examination conducted by CTEVT.( Student must be from Government School to be qualified for scholarship examination).
- Similarly, among the list of applicants from KDC, the student who Scores highest in CTEVT entrance examination will also be awarded scholarships for the first year whereas, for the topper of board examination conducted by CTEVT will be awarded the scholarship in the second year and third year, respectively.
Shambhu Prasad Joshi,
Certificate in Dental Science,
Kantipur Dental College
When I look back upon my college days in Kantipur Dental collage. I feel privileged that I made one of the best decisions to study at KDC. It has led my future on the right path. Along with sufficient and effective clinical and community exposure and with the help of supportive and qualified teachers, I was able to learn as well as clear my doubts. I will always cherish the amazing time in KDC. After completing my Certificate level in CDS from KDCH and PRC ( Pre- Requisite Course). I prepared for BDS. I am now studying Bachelor in Dental surgery at Gandaki Medical College. Those who are aspiring to study dental hygiene, I wish them all the very best
Two consecutive year topper (Academic 2nd and 3rd year) To me KDC proved to be the pillar of the bridge to professional and personal growth and success. I believe that along with the development of proficient skills, exposure and knowledge about dental hygiene, My 3 years in this institute was also an amazing contribution for the education and establishment of team and leadership skills, Proactive analytical thinking and ethical practice.