Certificate in Dental Science
Certificate in Dental Science (CDS), is based on the academic requirements to provide basic dental/oral health care services as a health professional Dental Hygiene graduates will be able to work as Dental Hin the hospital and clinical settings under the supervision of the Dental Surgeon and also will be able to serve in the community..
After completion of the course, the graduate is expected to perform the duty of hospital and clinic assistant as assigned by the Nepal Health Professional Council independently in different health institutions in Nepal and abroad.
Some of the services provided by dental hygienists may include:
- Patient screening procedures; such as assessment of oral health conditions, review of the health history, oral cancer screening, head and neck inspection, dental charting and taking blood pressure and pulse
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Removing calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth
- Applying preventive materials to the teeth (e.g., sealants and fluorides)
- teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health;
(e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Counseling patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health
- making impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth used by dentists to evaluate patient treatment needs)
- Performing documentation and office management activities
- Dental hygienists can apply their skills and knowledge to other career activities such as teaching hygiene students in dental schools and dental hygiene education programs.
- Research, office management and business administration are other career options.
- Employment opportunities also may be available with companies that market dental-related materials and equipment.
Scope and Opportunities
Dental Hygienists are licensed oral health professionals who focus on preventing and treating oral disease both to protect teeth and gums and also to protect patient’s total health. In additional to treating patients directly, dental hygienists may also work as educators, researchers and administration.
Why study Certificate in Dental Science at Kantipur Institute of Health Sciences?
With the quality of education integrated with theoretical and practical approach linking with the code of conduct of CTEVT and Nepal Health Professional Council , Kantipur Institute of Health Sciences s in the continuous pathway of preparing professionally competent Dental Hygienist.
Our mission is to guide all of our students as they become active, socially responsible leaders and contributors with the knowledge, skills and character to be successful.
- Experienced faculty members representing wide variety of disciplinary within Dentistry.
- Well–equipped science laboratories, library and Computer lab.
- Offers a Strong learning environment that nurtures and enhances the personality of our students.
- Constant evaluation & monitoring of student’s progress, through regular tests and exams.
- Own a sophisticated hospital with all oral health Care facility helping the students for On the Job training (OJT) and Job placement after completing the study.
- Collaboration with Latrobe University, Australia for Student Exchange Program.
Curriculum for Certificate in Dental Science
- Social Studies
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Math and Statistics
- Oral Health Instructions (OHI)/CAMP
- Extracurricular Activities.
- Well equipped practical and clinical laboratories.
- Spacious lecture halls.
- Access for national & international journals.
- Advanced computer laboratory.
- Mobile dental van.
- Hygienic cafeteria.
- Accommodation for girls.
Criteria for Admission
- SLC, SEE pass (GPA: 2.0, Eng, Math, Science, minimum C Grade)
- Must pass the entrance exam conducted by CTEVT
- The students are required to obtain a minimum of 90% attendance in order to sit for the final examination conducted by CTEVT.
- Besides that students must pass separately the internal assessments and terminal examinations conducted by faculty twice every year (40% theory & 60% Practical) in order to be qualified for the final examination.
- Internal evaluation carries 20% and 40 % of the total theory and practical marks respectively in every subject. The final exam (theory and practical exam) will be conducted by CTEVT. The students must pass them separately.