Diploma in Pharmacy
Kantipur Dental College Teaching Hospital and Research Centre have been conducting the diploma in Pharmacy Program from 2012 (2069 BS) with the philosophy of development and growth of pharmacy as a profession. The approach is based on the preventive, curative, promotive and rehabilitative aspect of drug use in health care. An internship in hospital pharmacy, community pharmacy and Industrial Pharmacy with pass marks is required for the graduation. Kantipur Dental College, Department of Pharmacy educates its students to achieve the following objectives:
- To prepare a professional diploma in Pharmacy assistant with a positive attitude towards profession and ambiance.
- To develop skill and knowledge in pharmacy manpower to manage the rational supply of Pharmaceuticals and to promote rational use of medicine within the health care system or at private Pharmacies.
- To provide qualified supportive technical manpower to fulfill the needs of drug manufacturing, quality control, and drug control.
- To prepare professionals for providing quality dispensing and health service to people in the hospital and community settings.
- To establish interprofessional collaboration with other health professionals for the quality health care system.
- To develop pharmaceuticals human resources in order to assist in the production and quality assurance of the pharmaceutical industry.
Why study Diploma in Pharmacy at Kantipur Institute of Health Sciences?
With the quality of education integrated with theoretical and practical approaches linking with the code of conduct of Nepal Pharmacy Council, Kantipur Institute of Health Sciences, and Department of Pharmacy is in the continuous pathway of preparing professionally competent assistant pharmacist. Our program has been successful in providing students with a variety of career options.
- Experienced faculty members representing a wide variety of disciplinary within Pharmaceutical science.
- Constant evaluation & monitoring of student’s progress, through regular tests and exams.
- Constant interaction with parents and personalized guidance.
- Well-equipped science laboratories, library and computer lab.
- Offers strong learning environment that nurtures and enhances the personality of our students.
- Collaboration with multiple hospital pharmacy, community pharmacy and pharmaceutical industry helping the student for job placement after completing the study.
Objectives of Diploma in Pharmacy
The program has the following objectives to:
1. Advise patients about medicines, including how to take them, what reactions may occur and answering patients’ questions.
2. Apply standards, guidelines, best practices, and established processes related to safe and effective medication use.
3. Provide effective medication services in hospitals as well as in community settings.
4. Read/interpret prescriptions and ensure that the medicines prescribed to patients are
5. Demonstrate leadership in managing the quality supply of pharmaceuticals and promoting rational use of medicine within the healthcare facilities and in the community
6. Engage in the production and preparation of medicines and assessments of the quality of medicines before they are supplied to patients from pharmaceutical manufacturers.
7. Develop positive attitudes towards the professional career with greater initiative and self-confidence.
Scopes and Opportunities
Pharmacy is a very dignified and highly respectable profession, which is directly related to the proper use of medicine and the health care system. A Diploma in Pharmacy graduate will be called a pharmacy assistant as per the pharmacy council Act 2057 with the following career opportunities.
1. Continuing education in different universities in the country and abroad.
2. Opening retail pharmacies in municipality urban and rural areas.
3. Getting a job in government and private hospital pharmacies.
4. Working in the community pharmacy drug manufacturing industries and different health-related NGOs and INGOs.
Eligibility and Admission Guidelines
- Nepalese students who have passed their SLC with a minimum of 45% average marks in English, Mathematics, and Science are eligible to apply for admission.
- Nepalese students who have passed their SEE with the minimum of cGPA ‘C’ and obtained minimum ‘C’ in English, Mathematics, and Science are eligible to apply for admission.
- There is an Entrance examination conducted by CTEVT. The student should not only pass the examination but also should obtain sufficient marks to be in the merit list for further admission procedure.
The students are required to obtain a minimum of 90% attendance in order to sit for the final examination conducted by CTEVT. Besides that, the students must pass separately the internal in the internal assessments and terminal examinations conducted by faculty twice every year (40% in theory and 60% in practical) in order to be qualified for the final examination.
Internal evaluation carries 20% and 40% of the total theory and practical marks respectively in every subject. The final exam will the on the basis if within practical and viva conducted by CTEVT. The students are requested to pass them separately.